Thursday, January 16, 2014

To Be Noticed

"There may be more beautiful times, but this one is ours."
- Jean-Paul Sartre
 
He had given clues, playfully planting the idea that something unexpected was to come.  "Think...bigger picture," he said, eyes mischievous.  It is one of his signature moves, his personal love language to me, carefully crafted over the many years we have been an "us," the perpetual taunting, "yanking of my chain" in such a way that lets me know I am his. 
 
I arrived home, the task of carpooling behind me.  His eyes revealed something special was about to unfold.  Casually, I was led into the office.  A row of perfectly coordinated packages lay waiting.  His gift...their gift to me.
 
There are those moments in life that leave you breathless, heart pounding and head spinning.  Year 34 began with such a moment, as he sat back watching our little ones present to me the fruits of his labor.  Months of planning, texting, emailing, done in secret, so that I would experience the thrill of surprise, the sincerity of being loved, and the intimacy of being known.  Each package a book, thoughtfully chosen by dear ones, inscribed with words of encouragement, reflection, well wishes and love.  My eyes welled, as I read words, pausing only to look into his face.  Around me the children pranced, recognizing the significance of the moment, identifying that my tears were happy ones (a very important distinction these days). 
 
In the year of {notice}, it was he who noticed me.  My deep appreciation for and love of friendship, the value I place on written words, my enthusiasm for literature, and the pleasure of adding new titles to our already overflowing bookshelves. 
 
In the moment, there were few words exchanged, only looks, followed by a long embrace.  His strong arms around me, holding me as my heart pounded, overwhelmed...in the best possible way.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs